April 14 - May 19 | One Day Course, ages 8-14 | $25/class
Saturday, 1 to 4 pm | Squire Pope Sailing and Rowing Center
The 3 day interactive course will be lead by world-renowned sailing legend John Rumsey.
Sailors will learn the fundamentals using the wind to propel sailboats and the use of sailboats to get around on the creeks and sounds around Hilton Head Island. We have adult advisors with vast expertise in sailing and junior instructors to coach the kids the techniques of sailing.
Rumsey has been involved in the sailing community for over 50 years. John learned to sail in the 1950s growing in San Francisco and later joined the North Sails in the 1960s and moved to San Diego. From there, he made sails and participated in numerous International Regattas. John moved to Hilton Head Island in 1977 to own and run Palmetto Bay Marina. Some of Rumsey's accomplishments include:
- Participated in 17 Trans-Pacific Races (California to Honolulu)
- Participated in 5 Trans Atlantic Crossings
- Winning Skipper of the 1982 Maxi boat World Championship in 1986
- Captain of the Square Rigged Ship HMS Bounty for Turner Broadcasting (1986-1990)
- Co-founder of the Hilton Head Island Community Rowing and Sailing Center (1996)
- Learn to sail in small boats single or double handed. Instructors are experienced sailors.
Participants need tennis shoes or water shoes. Life jackets are provided.